- Course Update
- Coming Events
- Recent Results
- The Rules Quiz
- A Little Humour
- As the situation regarding the Covid outbreak over the Christmas period has now been brought under control, I will attempt to remove the Covid playing restrictions yet again. As of 01 February the playing conditions will return to 'pre-covid' standard. Rakes will be returned to the bunkers, (so they will return to 'play it as it lies'), the ball washers and fountains will be returned to use, the noodle collars will be removed from the flagsticks (allowing the flagstick to be removed if desired, please use your gloved hand), NTP and pro-pin competitions will return and you will mark your partner's card. Be reminded that physical separation requirements are still mandatory.
- Another reminder about repairing divots and pitchmarks please.
- The Australia Day Medley is on tomorrow. It will be a hot day, so please ensure to carry and consume plenty of fluids during the round. The event starts with a shotgun at 09:00 and concludes with a BBQ in the clubhouse. $25 covers the day. Novelty events are back in the mix, as is a 'Best dressed' award. Remember the event is a 4BBB and forms the competition for the Captain V Captain trophy.
- The next trophy/medal day is the 6th February with the Monthly Medal. There will be a presentation following the completion of the competition.
- The White Horse Cup gets underway next Sunday 31st with BGC hosting 8 other clubs from the region. We are represented by 2 teams again this year and we wish both teams the very best success.
- February 20th is Jock Rossell day in conjunction with the Bill Chrystal Memorial Trophy (for Left handers). These events are PAR events, with the JR being a pairs event.
- A reminder that the sign up sheet for the Arthur Brassey Knock out competition is now open and available in the pro shop. The closing date is the 24th February and the 1st round must be completed by the 28th February.
Wednesday 20th January. A very warm day on the course and 91 players in the field. This is our regular monthly Invitational 4BBB competition. Winning the day was the pairing of Bob Young (24) and Rob Dean (35) with a score of 48 points from Ash Southon (11) and Don Barker (22) with 47 points. Balls were won down to 44 points via a count back. We welcomed visitors from Moss Vale GC and Kogarah GC
Friday 22nd January. The "Nugget". Another hot dry day and 25 players in the competition (17 men and 8 women). David Scholes (25) posted 25 points to beat Fran Dubiez (47) on a count back. In 3rd was David Bickford (14) with 23 points and 4th went to David Thurstans (33) with 22 points on a count back. Balls were won down to 20 points via count back.
Saturday 23rd January. The first of the medal/trophy days for 2021. 90 players entered the competition and when the dust settled, a presentation was held in the clubhouse. It's been 10 months since the last presentation, and it was well attended. The Sefton Cullen Anniversary Cup for 2021 was won by John Buchanan (9) with a 4 under-par nett 65.
- 'A' grade, John Buchanan (9) nett 65, from David Bickford (13) nett 66
- 'B' grade, Andrew Bova (23) nett 66, from Tom Dunlop (23) nett 67
- 'C' grade, Tony Dick (29) nett 65, from Chris Harvey (25) nett 67.
A reminder that un-presented medals/tumblers are held at the bar for collection, and there are now quite a few to be claimed.
Monday 25th January. Just 5 players in the 9 hole event. Angus Yuill (23) posted 22 points to claim the prize from James Nethersole (21) with 21 points. Balls down to 16 points.
This popular event has returned and resulted in the usual 'Putt-off' in the members' lounge. 8 players vied for the prize, each having supplied the correct answers to the question posed in my blog last week. Nick Reinhard held his nerve to make a great putt and claim the prize.
The answers to the quiz question are as follows (go back to my last blog to read the question!):
There are a total of 4 options available to solve the unplayable lie issue.
- Return to the location of the previous shot and replay it, penalty 1 shot.
- Drop within the bunker and within 2 club lengths of the ball's position (no closer the hole), penalty 1 shot.
- Drop within the bunker along a line extended from the ball and the pin, penalty 1 shot, and
- Drop outside the bunker, along a line extended from the ball and the pin, penalty 2 shots.
Look out for the quiz question next week which will be 'in-play' for the presentation following the February monthly medal on the 6th.
A Little Humour
My darling wife Denise may not play golf at all but she certainly appreciates the intricacies of golf course design with the birthday cake she provided for me last week.
Now Go Out and Enjoy a Game of Golf !!!