- In Memoriam
- Course Update
- Coming Events
- The Menu
- Whitehorse Cup Update
- Recent Results
- The Rules Quiz
- A Little Humour
It is with great sadness that we have to report the passing of one of our past staff members. Stuart Denholm died on the 15th March at his home in Port Macquarie. Stuart was a memorable character in the pro shop, where he worked from 2012 through to 2019. He had a great way of welcoming everyone with a big smile and a laugh, and he always remembered your name. A wonderful guy who will be greatly missed. Our thoughts go out to his family and friends at this sad time.
- It's nice to see some sunshine again after a long wet spell. The course will take some time to recover, so be sure to avoid areas of known boggy conditions. Fingers crossed for a fabulous Southern Highlands Autumn, as it seems that many of the deciduous trees on the course are well into their colour change.
- Sam Mullholland (full playing club member) and Principle of Mulholland Property, has recently taken advertising on the 18th tee. I urge members to contact Sam should they have need of property advice.
- It's now been 3 weeks since the Covid playing rules were removed from operation, however, it seems that a number of players have not kept themselves abreast of the changes. The Trophy competition which was held last Saturday has featured quite a few disqualifications as a result of scorecards not being correctly completed. Please note that scorecards must be signed by both the Player and the Marker. Also, if the event is a team event which includes an individual event, you will each receive a personalised scorecard. You must submit all cards correctly filled out, regardless of the team event in conjunction. On completion of entering your score into the computer, deposit the card into the 'mail' slot in the top of the desk, or give the card to the pro shop staff. Don't throw the card out!!
- If any player is in doubt about the format or scoring procedure for an event, please contact the pro shop or go online and research the procedure. BGC is in compliance with the R & A Rules of Golf effective 19 January 2019 (with subsequent amendments). Don't go to all the effort and play a fantastic game, just to have the score disallowed because you didn't know the rules. It's the responsibility of the player. 'Nuff said.
- Please make the effort to repair any pitch marks on the greens while you are waiting your turn to putt. The greens are very soft, so even short lofted shots may leave a depression.
- The Arthur Brassey signup sheet will close after play concludes on Wednesday. The draw will be published within the following days.
- The March Monthly Medal will occur on the 6th and will feature the introduction of the new 3rd tee and the extended 7th tee to competition.
- The President's Trophy and Anniversary Dinner is now scheduled for the 1st May.
- The greens will be renovated on the 8th and 9th March.
- St Patrick's Day will be celebrated with a special event on Wednesday 17th March. The format will be an Irish 4 Ball Aggregate Stableford (best two scores per hole apply). We currently have 4 sponsors, each providing a bottle and are looking for a few more to sponsor the NTP holes and any other novelties which can be supported. Start looking for the Green gear now!!
- The Warwick Armstrong Trophy will be held on the 20th March.
- The Patron's Trophy will be held on the 27th March, and is the qualifying event for the Club Foursomes Championship.
The following is a copy of Tim's email to the membership.
Good morning everyone,
This week, we are offering takeaway meals for pick-up day on Friday 26 February 2021.
2-course Meal ($25 for members, $30 for non-members)
Main: Chicken Tagine with Lemon, Feta and Almond Couscous
Dessert: Chocolate Mousse Tart
We are offering our entire wine list for takeaway at a 10% discount.
Please order by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phoning 48611042 (option 4), with the number of meals and selections. Orders must be received by 5pm on Tuesday 23 February 2021.
Collection times will be staggered and I will advise of your time for pick up. Please collect from Bowral Golf Club, enter the clubhouse located at the corner of Kangaloon Rd and David St, Bowral.
Feel free to forward this to family, friends or anyone you think might be interested.
Keep well and I look forward to seeing you soon.
Don Barker kindly provided the following update on the progress of the two teams representing BGC.
On Sunday 21-2-21
Bowral 1 was defeated by Sussex Inlet 1…. 4 matches to 3 … again down to the last hole !!!
Sussex Inlet 2 was defeated by Bowral 2 …. 4 matches to 3.
Both teams are lying third in their divisions. Bowral 1 being one point ahead of the field and Bowral 2 just 2 match points ahead of Kiama.
With just one round to go, next week will determine if one or both progress to the final series .
A win to progress, or even a square could be sufficient depending on other results .
There are some anomalies in the results for division 4 but any error will be unlikely to change the outcome.
Wednesday17th February. A 4BBB team event with no individual format.
- Paul Nichols (18) and Bob Harrison (25) 45 points
- Wayne Ison (23) and Patrick Lane (16) 43 points
The NTP 11th went to Daniel Weekes and the Pro Pin to Alec Dietsch. We welcomed a visitor from Manly GC.
Friday 19th February. The "Nugget". Just 9 players in the weather affected field (8 Men and 1 woman).
- Ash Southon (14) 20 points
- James Nethersole (42) 19 points
- Scott Olding (11) 18 points
- Grant Blanchard (30) 16 points
After a considerable amount of dust had settled John Ferguson (15) and Dick Hiser (12) were declared winners of the Jock Rossell for 2021 on a score of +2. Peter Metcalf (19) and Martin Flaxman (22) scored -2 to claim second place.
The Bill Chrystal Memorial Trophy was won by Les Brooker (15) with a score of 0 with Brian Hanrahan (14) in second with -4.
Monday 22nd February. "Monday Madness". A field of 13 players (10 Men and 3 Women) enjoyed some of the best conditions for many weeks on the 9-hole course. Graham Oldfield (23) scored 20 points to win the event from Gil Levy (25) with 18 points via a count back. Balls were won down to 16 points via count back.
Whilst the presentation did not go ahead due to issues with the scoring for the PAR event of the day, the quiz was played out. If you want to read the question you need to go back to my blog of the 1st February.
There are 4 possible options available for the player to play their next shot. In each case the next shot will count as number 4.
- The player may drop within the penalty area in the spot from which the previous shot was made. The ball must stop within 1 club length of the spot, no closer to the hole.
- The player may take back on the line relief outside the penalty area keeping the point of entry (of the tee shot) into the penalty area and the pin in a line. The ball must stop within 1 club length of the spot, no closer to the hole.
- The player may take lateral relief at the point of entry into the penalty area (of the tee shot). The ball must stop within 2 club lengths of the points and no closer to the hole.
- The player may return to the teeing ground and play another tee shot.
A Little Humour
Now Go Out and Enjoy a Game of Golf !!!