- Coming Events
- BGC Celebrates Australia Day
- Recent Results
- WHS begins
- Course Care
- The Rules Quiz
- "Who Am I ?" Competition
- A Little Humour
- RFS Charity Day. Sunday 16th February. A golf day to raise funds for the ongoing provision of services and equipment for the local RFS. Sign up with your friends (or just yourself) in groups of 4. Tee times from 09:00 through to 1 pm. $45 per person green fees, which will be donated to the RFS. The competition is a single Stableford in one division (non gender specific), with Men playing the Blue course and Women playing the Red course. First prize is a $250 gift certificate for Bunnings, Second is a $130 gift certificate for BWS. Other prizes will be advertised once they are pledged. (If anyone wishes to donate towards some of the prize categories, please let either Kevin Kenny or myself know). There will also be a raffle conducted during the day with prizes which include a lunch for two at Mt Ashby winery.
- Arthur Brassey entries close this coming Wednesday after the completion of the daily presentation.
- Next Saturday, 1st February, is the next Monthly Medal, and the following Saturday is one of our very few PAR competitions. This is to give players an opportunity to prepare for the Jock Rossell on the 22nd.
- The Patrons Trophy is scheduled for the 15th February. Note the daily competition is Foursomes ONLY, and is also the qualifying competition for entry into the Club Championships in Foursomes.
- Also to add to this very busy time of the year is the President's Trophy held this year on Saturday 29th February. The Anniversary Dinner follows the competition that evening. If you won or were runner-up in a trophy event during 2019, you are invited to attend.
My thanks to the organisers who worked very hard to bring together a very successful day. Chris Hill and Robert Eriksson have very kindly taken on the role of Medley Day organisers, and their first foray was an excellent affair. Together with Helen Chadwick the team created displays across the course and arranged some interesting prize categories. Thanks also to Tim Davis and the team for looking after all the members with a sumptuous BBQ lunch complete with Pavlova and Tim Tams!! (Doesn't get more Aussie than that!)
At the conclusion of the BBQ lunch, Tim Davis was tasked with selecting the 'Best dressed' on the day, and he chose the team of Tony Dick, Wendy Burke, Kevin Burke and Robert Eriksson. Definitely a close competition in this category with the team of Helen Chadwick, Ash Southon, Chris Hill and Shane Harvey making a strong showing. Congratulations to everyone for supporting the club and making the celebration an enjoyable and memorable experience.
Wednesday 22nd January. A nice day to play golf, and 66 players agreed. Tony Hobson (14) put up 40 points to win from Langdon Emery (14) with 38. The Eagle must be getting very proficient, as again the prize was not won and now stands at 10 balls. The NTP 11th went to Tim Davis and the pro pin to Peter Metcalf. Two visitors, both from Gibraltar joined the competition.
Saturday 25th January. The Sefton Cullen Anniversary Cup, the first trophy event of the year. Warren Ryan (22) held off the field with a net 68 to win on a count back from Andrew Tomkins (20). The daily event was won by country member, Tom Dunlop (22) with a net 67. The Eagle's nest was again not won, and now holds 3 balls. The NTP 11th went to Scott Olding and the pro pin to John McGuire. John Cox from The Australian GC joined the field.
As previously advised, the Golflink computer will be unavailable for retrieving handicaps or sending scores until Friday January 31st. As of that time, the new WHS will become active (read my previous blogs for more information, or check out the poster on the noticeboard). In addition, the newly calculated Slope and SCR figures for all our courses, Blue, Red, White and Yellow (new 9 hole course) will become active. The bottom line, check your score cards to see the effect of the changes.
I'm disappointed to see the number of un-repaired divots throughout the course. Please fill your sand bucket at each tee, and fill your own and any other divots you come across. Together we can get the fairways back into a good condition. The greens keepers do as much as they can, but divots and pitch marks are YOUR responsibility. Thank you.
Last week's question was fairly simple (go and read it in my last blog now). It related to the use of swing aids during a game. The answer is Yes, there is a penalty. Since 5 members provided the correct answer, I chose to add to their competition by giving any winner a 1m advance if they were able to quote the correct penalty, and of how it was to be applied. The General penalty is the result (2 shots in stroke play, loss of hole in match play). The penalty is applied at the commencement of the next hole in stroke play (player is now hitting 3 off the tee) and at the end of the next hole in match play. Dave McGinnes putted his way to his first win in competition, beating Alec Dietsch, Paul Carroll, Andrew Tomkins and David Stanley.
This week's Question.
A player drops a ball in the correct manner, but the ball is accidentally stopped by the player's foot and comes to rest inside the relief area.
TRUE or FALSE, the player is required to re-drop the ball?
Lots of responses over the past week, however, none were on the mark so here is the next clue. Remember to enter you have to email your response to email@example.com
"I share my name with a famous Australian Actor".
(Note, the photo is a logo only)
The union denied that their workers were flagrantly abusing their contract's sick-leave provisions.
One morning at the bargaining table, the company's chief negotiator held aloft the morning edition of the newspaper, "This man," he announced, "called in sick yesterday!"
There on the sports page, was a photo of the supposedly ill employee, who had just won a local golf tournament with an excellent score.
The silence in the room was broken by a union negotiator. "Wow," he said, "just think of what kind of score he could have had if he hadn't been sick!"
Now Go Out and Enjoy A Game of Golf !!