- A past Captain remembered
- Course Update
- The Menu
- Coming Events
- Recent Results
- The Brain Teaser, a new Competition
- A little Humour
Being the Captain of Bowral Golf Club brings with it a great sense of pride, passion and purpose. In this last week we lost a past Club Captain, and it is suitable that I give recognition to his passing.
Peter Kenneth Douglas was born on the 7th of February 1935 and had reached the age of 85 when he died on the 24th June 2020. Peter was BGC Club Captain from 1986 to 1988. He will be long remembered for his ability on the golf course having won the Club Championship on no less than 6 occasions. He was also in the winning pair of the Club Championships in Foursomes 7 times and the Club Mixed Foursomes Championships 9 times. A combination of successes not achieved either before or since his time. His great friend Ray Clayton provided a tableau of remembrance last weekend. Characters such as Peter Douglas are the stitches from which the fabric of our great club is built. He will be remembered.
- Players will have noticed a significant number of areas of the course which are currently identified as GUR. The areas which have been indicated as compulsory are the repairs to the rear of the 1st green, the repairs beside the 3rd green, the new fairway on the 4th hole and the area to the left of the 8th green. Other areas shown as GUR are not compulsory. See your score card for more detail.
- The Paths Project commences next Monday morning (weather permitting). The paths impacted by this first stage are the 6th tee to 7th tee, the 10th tee to the 10th fairway, the 10th green to the 11th tee and the path beside the 12th tee. The 6th hole will be closed for the day and the tees on the other affected holes will be positioned well forward to avoid any danger.
- The full length of the 4th hole will return for play from the 4th July.
This week Regina and the crew are creating a festive menu to celebrate Christmas in July. I think the orders will be pretty heavy, so get in quickly so you don't miss out.
Here's Tim's email:
Week 14 Takeaway Menu Good morning everyone,This week, the pick-up day is Friday
Our theme for this week is "Christmas in July". This Friday would normally have been our "Christmas in July" themed First Friday Dinner, but due to COVID-19 restrictions this can't happen. In keeping with that theme here is the delicious menu. Ho, ho, ho!
2 course Meal ($25 per person)
Main: Turkey, Ham, Roast Vegetables, Gravy and Cranberry Relish
Dessert: Plum Pudding and Hearty Custard
Soup ($10 per person): Celeriac and Potato
We are still offering our entire wine list for takeaway at a 10% discount. We also have 6 bottles of Robert Oatley GSM at the special price of $30 per bottle. First in, first served.
Contactless payment by EFTPOS or Member Account remains the preferred payment method.
Please order by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phoning 4861 1042 (option 4), with the number of meals and selections. Orders must be received by 5pm on Tuesday 30 June, 2020.
Collection times will be staggered from 4pm and I will advise of your time for pick up. Please collect from Bowral Golf Club, enter the clubhouse located at the corner of Kangaloon Rd and David St, Bowral.
Feel free to forward this to family, friends or anyone you think might be interested.
Keep well and I look forward to seeing you soon.
- Next Saturday, 4th July, is the next Monthly medal day.
- Commencing Monday 6th July, the 'Monday Madness' competition will become a 9-hole event, played on the Yellow course. Competition fees and prizes are as per the 'Nugget' competition. Note: the 6th hole will be closed on the 6th July due to the path construction work, so the 11th will be used instead. Scores on this day will not be processed for handicaps.
- Saturday 18th July is the Captains Trophy event, 18 hole stroke.
- Saturday 25th July is the President V Captain event for the Boxmor Trophy. The event will be a 4BBB normal daily competition, however pairs will have the opportunity to sign up to either the President's or Captain's team (sign-up sheet is available in the pro shop and on the main noticeboard). Pairs will then be drawn at random to create matches. The results for each match will be taken from the better-ball results returned by each pair on the day. Each match will provide 1 point towards the Boxmore Trophy result. The sign-up sheet will close after play is completed on the Wednesday prior to the 25th.
Wednesday 24th June. A fine day, and another good field of 80 players for the midweek event. The overall winner was Ken Dobie (22) with 39 points on count back. The best in 'A' grade was Clark Gibbons (11) with 39 points, 'B' grade was David Stanley (23) with 37 points on count back and in 'C' grade, Stephen Heywood (39) with 39 points. Balls were won down to 33 points via count back.
Friday 26th June. The "Nugget". Another strong field of 28 players saw Russell Bourne (19) outpace the field with a score of 24 points. Anne Spiden (37) scored a strong 23 points to claim the runner-up prize. Balls won down to 19 points via count back.
Sunday 28th June. Just 12 players in the field, but some impressive results. Robert Eriksson (19) notched up 44 points to win from up-and-coming junior Luc Puchert (30) with 38 points. Balls were delivered down to 31 points via count back.
Monday 29th June. A very small field of just 2 players with John Ferguson (13) taking the honours with 34 points.
A new Competition replacing the Mystery Member competition. Similar arrangement, send your answer via email to email@example.com
This week the 4th person to send in a correct response will claim the prize. (That's because it's pretty easy and I want more responses!!) Look at the photographs below and work out your answer.
The people who gave us golf and called it a game, are the same people who gave us bagpipes and called it music!!
Now Go Out and Enjoy a Game of Golf!!!