- One month in the job already.
- Arthur Brassey Trophy presented.
- Bruce Smith Challenge Cup.
- Recent competition results.
- Upcoming Events.
- New Item, .... Rules Quiz.
Bruce Smith Challenge Cup.
Twelve players, keen of eye and anxious to defend the cup set forth from the comfort of Bowral Golf Club to the wilds of Moss Vale last Sunday 5th May. Six matches of 4 Ball Better Ball later, it was Moss Vale, with home field advantage, who prevailed with a four and a half to one and a half victory. The majority of the matches being settled by only 2 points, showed BGC was always in the game. A cold, windy and showery day still allowed the games to be played in a great spirit, and we all appreciated the warm hospitality afforded us. Congratulations to the Moss Vale boys. Many thanks to Nick Reinhard and Chris Kunz, Terry Downing and Ko Buisman, Pat Donoghue and Ash Southon, Alec Dietsch and Grant Blanchard, John Buchanan and Brian Hanrahan, and Langdon Emery (who partnered myself). Next year......
Wednesday 1st May. 78 players contested a stableford event and John McGuire (27) showed again the good form he's currently enjoying with 43 points to take the prize from Peter Campbell (18) with 41. Harry Caust threw a dart to claim 2 balls from the Eagles nest, Les Brooker won the NTP 11th, and Dennis Cooper rounded out the winners with the pro-pin. 21 balls were duly delivered in the run-down. Twelve visitors from Pymble, two from Royal Sydney and one each from Bonnie Doon and Elanora joined the field and the course played to a DSR of 69.
Saturday 4th May. Winter threatened the afternoon field for the May monthly medal. 80 players contested the event with 'A' grade being won by Tony Hobson (13) 68 on a count back from Alec Dietsch (14). 'B' grade went to Dick Hiser (16) 69 on a count back from John Hobbs (22). 'C' grade to John McGuire (27) 71 from Bruce Windybank (30) 72. The best score off the stick went to Tony Rourke (11) 80. Jim Larkin won the NTP 11th, and John McGuire cleaned up the pro-pin. I seem to be typing the name John McGuire quite frequently at present!! Great work. Three visitors from Port Kembla and four from Strathfield joined the day. 21 balls in the run-down and the DSR right on 69.
- Foursomes, foursomes foursomes foursomes foursomes ....
- American foursomes next Wednesday 8th.
- J W Draper Trophy. Handicap stroke foursomes match play. Sign-up sheet now open in the pro-shop. Entries close 5pm Wednesday 15th May. Draw will be published the next day.
- Patrons Trophy handicap foursomes (qualifying event for the Club Foursomes Championship Tom McKay trophy in conjunction) Saturday 11th May. Note, the only event on the day is foursomes.
- Mixed Foursomes Championships (Wotton trophy for Mixed handicap foursome in conjunction). First round 19th May, second (and final) round 26th May. Sign-up online, although if you are in need of a partner, there is a sign-up sheet in the pro-shop.
Each blog I will introduce a scenario which will examine your appreciation of the rules of golf. These rules are in place to help you, so a better understanding of the interpretations will help you in your round.
Quiz. Your ball, which lies off the green, is on your opponents line of play. Your opponent asks you to lift your ball. Are you permitted to clean the ball before replacing it? Answer next week.
Mark Twain once said, "It's not good sportsmanship to pick up a lost ball whilst it is still rolling"
Until next time, get out on our fabulous course and enjoy some golf.